Day 4: Back on track

Thursday, November 4, 2010

| | |
After missing out on 100 words from my goal daily word count yesterday, I've gotten over 1750 words this time. It was a little harder getting into the mood to type tonight, mainly because I've been working on a recording for almost 9 straight hours. It's really not fair to be writing AND working. Why can't writing BE my work? Ay, I can dream.

I have a couple of new characters popping up: one is from one of my planned stories that I haven't yet started, and the other is based on a story I started two years ago. It's nice writing some familiar personalities and having them guest star.

Apart from that, the novel's shaping up to be a very complex and interesting web of mystical phenomena and romance, mixed in with some tragedy and hopefully some enlightening bits. It's definitely not the same as what I thought I was starting with ~ it's taken a dark turn somewhere there. I find that while I'm at work I'm wishing that I was at home writing. Or while I'm on the train heading to work, that I was at home writing. Is this what happens when you get addicted to writing?

Today I also realised that finishing this novel isn't just about finally finishing what I start. It's about developing my self confidence, my willpower, my strength and courage. It is about releasing the pent up creativity that has been stunted by my own mind, believing that I "never finish what I start". In finishing this novel, I can prove to myself and other naysayers that I can do whatever the bloody hell I put my mind to. And that is worth writing 1667 words a day for, even if I have to stay up past my bedtime.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I think we may have been separated at birth! My profile on my NaNoWriMo page lists Loreena McKennitt first on my list of music. I love her. Her voice reaches through time and pulls me back to past lives that I'm convinced I've lived before. And, my motto is that it's not about the end result but about the "doing". And we are doing it! :) Yay! We'll finish. I'd bet on it. :)

Cynthia said...

LOL Loreena has such an unearthly and ethereal voice. I know what you mean about the past lives bit - i get that every time i hear "The Old Ways"... it just makes me think of being on the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, feeling the Atlantic wind twirling strong around me, imagining that I am calling on the wind and ocean. Though that sounds more past life than actual life :D

Yay we are doing it! I think we will. We're spurring each other on, aren't we? Can't let each other down :) Thank you for that! xx

Post a Comment