Day 7: Total word count for first week - 12,435

Sunday, November 7, 2010

| | |
Today I've surprised even me. I looked at the word count total for the week, and I've hit 12,435. That is a new record! I'm right on track to finishing 50,000 words. Now, just to keep the motivation up for 3 more weeks :)

A new twist in the novel - there are just so many things popping up out of the blue - is the concept of death, healing and rebirth, and how that fits in with dreaming. Originally I had this guy stuck in a cave with some old lady, and suddenly the old lady decided to reveal that it was really a tomb. Then a whole discussion on death and rebirth came up. I kept having images in my head of the West Kennett Long Barrow, and what I would imagine would happen if someone walked through the red 'Otherworld' door (it's a red stone, as opposed to the blue and gray stone everywhere else). I had visited the long barrow while I was at Avebury, UK, and it's definitely an experience.

The thing about the long barrow is that archaeologists believe it was a tomb, and that the red door led to the underworld. When I walked around in there, I didn't get a sense of that. It felt like a healing area. The death aspect seemed to be more around the idea that it was a waiting area, a preparation place. However there was definitely a healing feel, much like the idea of a hospital where patients come to be healed and sometimes they do die.

I guess that death, true healing and dreams are all intertwined. They all exist on a different frequency or level of understanding. Healing is not just what cures we come up with, but what we believe and feel. Death is just a transition. The realm of dreams is a place where we can create and experience anything, a place that holds death and healing in its black nothingness while they wait to become.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Congrats on finishing the first week! Yay!
I've been to Avebury. It was super cold and I remember the wind being really strong that morning. There was a wizard sitting on the ground with some followers and he was telling stories. It was fascinating! I never knew, or maybe I forgot about it being a tomb. Very interesting! Good luck on week two!!

Cynthia said...

Thanks!! You too!!

There are so many wizards and witches and druids who go to Avebury, but you are lucky to have experienced the bard telling stories! Perhaps you had a past life there and it was trying to help you remember??

Post a Comment