Nanowrimo starts today

Monday, November 1, 2010

| | |
It has been an entire year since I set upon my keyboard for what could be the most thrilling, crazy and difficult month in my life. I am talking about Nanowrimo, a writing competition where the only prize is the satisfaction gained from having gotten a 50,000 word novel written in a speedy 30 days.

In 2009, I dropped out pretty early on. I lost interest in my characters and in the plot, and it didn't help that for at least one of the weeks in November I was involved in a big conference at work.

But this year it's different. I can feel it in my bones. I am writing now in the Autumn months from the Lake District in the UK, a far cry from the Australian springtime. There is more reason to sit indoors and enjoy the light tap-tap-tapping that rises from my fingers hitting the keyboard. It seems it's all going according to plan... muahahahaha.

So when I get home tonight, I'm going to have my dinner, make a nice cup of tea, and write 1667 words (if I do this every day, I will get to 50,010 by the end of 30 days). If I write more ~ woohoo bonus! I have an idea of what the novel will be about, but I'm letting it surprise me. I figure if it's a rough draft, it's probably better that way :)

I'll be posting some bits of the novel and research as I go as well. 


Keep smiling!!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Cynthia! I'm going to follow your progress! Maybe we can encourage each other. I too, never finish the stories I start! And, I'm so jealous that you get to live in Cumbria! I'm going to be trekking the Cumbrian Way this Spring so maybe we meet at a pub for a pint in celebration of our completed novels! Now...get busy writing! :)

Cynthia said...

Hi Laura - thank you! Wow, actually trekking the Cumbrian way? I have yet to do that. It'll be beautiful around that time. Definitely let me know when you're in the area for a belated celebratory pint :)

Post a Comment