Day 8: Rebirth and Fear

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

| | |
Having some trouble uploading the word count for today (1722 words) on the NaNoWriMo website, thanks to maintenance. Oh well, I'll try later on.

Today's writing expanded on the idea of death and has taken on board the importance of rebirth. Rebirth is messy. It's not something that happens beautifully. The end result may be beautiful and something that we can love and enjoy in our lives, but the actual rebirthing... well... think  about being in labour and it's probably something like that. There is blood, there's shit, there's a whole lot of crying and pain. And then you hear the life you created inside you coming out, crying and seeing the world for the first time. And you see them for the first time. And suddenly things change. In that one moment, things completely change.

Rebirth involves us to let go, absolutely let go, of our old skins which is something that not many people are ready to do. I know for a fact that I have a lot to let go, and it's probably why it's coming up in my writing. But it also requires us to take a new form. The form is something that has always been inside us, waiting to be released into the world. Once we come into the world in this form, we can truly be our authentic selves.

But of course there is the fear of leaving all that behind. In my experience that fear has stopped me from seeing the magic in front of me. It has stopped me from properly rebirthing into who I want to be. We all fear the pain that risking our old lives can bring. We want it to be easy and painless. The problem is that if we do have it easy and painless, we do not truly strip our skins. We do not truly end one cycle.

My characters are going through a pretty intense process at the moment, seeing their true forms, understanding their abilities and completely unsure about how to move forward. Both protagonists seem to be floating on the wind rather than being grounded and secure, but this is important. Until they let go of their old world truths, they will never set foot on this new ground they must connect with. I feel sorry for putting them through it, but it's necessary.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Whoa! That's a great description of rebirth!LOL!
I freaked out a bit yesterday when I couldn't get the NaNoWriMo site to come up so I could enter my word count. I'm writing chick-lit! A story about two childhood friends whose lives have taken different paths. They reconnect as thirty-somethings in the summer of 1977 for a week-long road trip that is full of self-discovery. :)

Cynthia said...

:) It is, isn't it? LOL But it's so true. It's hard and painful to rebirth, and so many think there's got to be an easy way. There isn't. You gotta go through it all to really become who you are. Man, my writing always tends to go down the dark road.

Love chick-lit! Sounds very cool. I can totally imagine walking out of a bookstore with it! xx

Post a Comment