Day 14 and 15: Still on mini sabbatical

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

| | |
The last few days made me reach the depths of exhaustion that I haven't known for quite some time. Because of NaNoWriMo taking up half of my night time, and work taking up most of my day time, my sleep time has been erratic at best and non-existent at worst. So I ended up resting for a total of 3 days instead of 1. This means that I've now got the responsibility to reach 6668 words today, my day off.

But there were some treasures in leaving the novel for a few days.
  1. I attended a Shamanism workshop, which was much more revealing than I thought it would be. The workshop (which took place on Day 14) involved discussion on journeying to other realms, in particular the basic shamanic realms of the Upper World, Middle World and Lower World. It was a great opportunity to gain new insights into what I am currently writing and to somewhat experience it first hand. I've only ever journeyed a few times in my life and the workshop reminded me that it was such a necessary part in my own development. My power animal turned out to be a spider, which is all about weaving the web of life and of creativity. Spider has been a big part of my life for many years - there have been times when I've had one crawl over me, a few living in my room (just cobweb ones, not anything dangerous) or falling onto me trying to get attention. She also seems to be writing herself into the book! It wasn't until this journey that I confirmed what I knew deep inside. I've also gotten insight into why I'm so attracted to all things dreams and death, and why I've always connected with the rugged landscapes of western Ireland and the UK. So now I've got some proper ammo to continue on my novel's journey, and my own one too!
  2. Dreamtime has been active, and I have a few more ideas for the dream sequences, especially since my main character Mira is heading into that world now to save some people. It's provided me with a good foundation for a world unlike our own.
  3. I've been making editing notes. No, not editing the novel but writing down where I want it to go when I revisit it at the end to edit. It means that there's going to be a lot thrown out, but there are going to be some new interesting bits woven into it (man I am really channelling Spider energy now!).
  4. My travels are starting to produce interesting insights that are making their way into my novel. My travels, which started off as just a holiday and have ended up being a Pilgrimage or Imramma of sorts, has started to reveal it's lessons and it's changing how the novel is being written.
I know how it's going to end and who is pulling the strings, and to what end they will be pulled. These things I would not have come to had I not taken the time off to experience other things. So I guess that's the most important thing in this entire post:

If you write about life, take time out to experience it as well.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Awesome post Cynthia! The Shamanism workshop sounded like an amazing experience. How cool to be able to participate in that especially since you are writing a novel about dreamwalking. I love your end quote, so true! I'm sure you will have no problem catching back up with your word count as you sound re-energized and inspired!

Post a Comment