Day 9: Meeting the Family

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

| | |
Word count today: 2539. It was a hard slog though. I wasn't sure where it was going, and suddenly I'm meeting the protagonist's family.

Like most families, this one is dysfunctional. They gang up on my protagonist because they believe she made the wrong decision in leaving her husband. While they don't have the full story, they try to encourage her to make amends and give her relationship another go all in the name of tradition and the church. It's all done in friendly banter, but because she has heard it so many times before, it's more like they think she will wear down and finally accept that 'marriage is forever', something that one of them actually says. I guess I wanted to make a point about how just because things have been a certain way before, and have existed in that same way for many years, it doesn't make it right. It is not acceptable to suffer any kind of abuse, emotional or physical, just because tradition has told us we should. Family is important, but when family encourages you to do what you do not believe to be right and holds you to ransom on it, then there is something wrong with the dynamics there. I haven't had her husband come into the picture yet so I'm not sure what I personally make of him, but I have a feeling that he will soon make an appearance. I wonder if I'll get angry while writing him?

My other protagonist is still stuck in his tomb/cave. He's not come out but he's been announced as missing by the authorities on television, which has given a whole new spin to how these characters all relate. I want to see him do some more dreamwalking though :)

Another plot point from one of my minor characters has now prompted the whole story along a little further as well. This character has suddenly fallen ill and been taken to hospital after trying to help out my protagonist with her dreams. The doctors can't find what is wrong with her because there is nothing wrong with her on a physical level. The problem is on a very different level possibly relating to the dreams. I feel tomorrow's writing is going to be very interesting.

I keep wondering when the idea will run into the ground, but it seems like it's all falling into place. I feel like I've been writing jigsaw pieces for most of the last seven years, and now it's starting to fit together.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ah yes, all families have some dysfunction but as we get older we just ignore it,lol. I'm intrigued the character stuck in the cave. Does he have something to eat? I'm worried about him...I have a chef in my novel, maybe I can send him over and he can cook up something for him? :)

Cynthia said...

Hahaha i guess it depends on the kind of dysfunction. I love flawed characters and situations :)

That is a good question. I have other characters eating, but he hasn't seemed to eat since he got into the cave. Thanks for reminding me!! lol

Post a Comment