Day 1: Made it a little past the mark

Monday, November 1, 2010

| | |
So I got to 1716 words. Not a bad start. Took me all of 2 hrs but that also includes South Park and Sex & The City time... imagine when I have no distraction.

My novel has started off as a tale about dreams and nightmares. I really want to make it an artistic piece of writing, something that is written in the vein of the subject and not just ABOUT the subject. I've given it the working title of Dreamwalker, which is a person who consciously connects into and can work in other people's dreams. Similar to the concept of the movie Inception, which I haven't seen yet but I have heard great things about. I'm planning on taking a different route to Christopher Nolan's interpretation of the dreamwalker, but it might be nice to rent it out when I finish Nanowrimo as a "YAY I've finished" gift to me :)

The hardest thing about today has been to switch off from the world. I love checking my Facebook and having the TV on in the background - I find it soothing and yet so distracting as well. But once I got my tea sorted, it was like being on moderately easy street.

The other hard thing is switching off from re-reading what I've written. When I re-read, I tend to edit, and this stops me usually from finishing anything I start. Hopefully it's one of those habits that stops once you admit it to yourself. 

Tomorrow I have the day off, so I'll probably be able to get quite a lot of writing done. Chances are that soon I will feel the urge to do a prelim edit, so I need to figure out what I can do to curb that craving. Maybe a nice walk down near the river. Or chocolate. I definitely will need to figure something out.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Well done Cynthia! Chocolate is always the answer to everything. ;)

Cynthia said...

it is, isn't it? :) how're you doing with your writing??

Laura said...

I did 2142 words on day 1. I'm hoping to keep that pace up but I'm with a 10yr old all day today so that seems unlikely. :(

Cynthia said...

wow! that's impressive :) don't worry, just make it up tomorrow. I read somewhere that as long as you write 11,669 words each week for four weeks, it'll get you over the goal mark. So enjoy today!! xx

Post a Comment